Compete to Contribute
COMPETE TO CONTRIBUTE
Hello Cougar families! It’s that time again when we give back to our community in a HUGE way!
You may have already seen the profile on our event in the paper or heard about it on social media but here are a few more specific details. If you have any questions, please direct them to your team manager and they will forward them to the organizers. We thank you in advance for your support of this initiative.
WHAT IS COMPETE TO CONTRIBUTE? CTC (as we call it) is a friendly competition among youth groups in our area, with the goal of raising community involvement, supporting community organizations and potentially earning funds for our association. A huge number of local businesses come together to support this initiative with prize money, which will be awarded to the groups with the most community involvement. Last year we won first place ($15,000.00) and this year we plan to make our food bank drive even more successful, helping out the Parkland Food Bank with another record-setting donation!
WHEN WILL CTC HAPPEN? We have two evenings planned for this huge undertaking. Attendance at these events is mandatory, the same as for a practice or game. Not only is this a great way to teach our kids to give back to the community, but it is also a great team-building experience going into our season. These dates go rain or shine so come dressed for the weather!
Wednesday, August 15 during regular practice time (6:00 - 8:00 p.m.) or until all the bags are delivered
Monday, August 20 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. or hopefully even later given that we want to collect more than our 22,000 pounds of food collected last year!
HOW IT WILL WORK?
- Players will gather in the front entry of Fuhr Field at 6:00 p.m.
- Players will already be assigned to a group, along with 3-4 other teammates, and a coach/manager/trainer/member of the executive (there will be no group switching as we need to account for the location of all players). We will ask for at least one additional parent volunteer to join each group so if you are able to stay and help with this fun and important event, please plan to do so!
- On Wednesday, Novice groups will head to one of our local grocery stores and hand out bags as people enter the store (and collect the full bags as they exit). Full bags can be returned to the field at the end of the night so that we can keep them for delivery the following week. The rest of the levels will be given a map and bundle of bags. The bags need to be dropped in the mailboxes or left on the front step of each house along the route. Each group can tackle their map area as they see fit during the drop-off but must be signed in and out at Fuhr field by their group leader.
- On the following Monday, Novice groups will again head to the grocery stores while the other levels take their groups back out to their same map locations and pick up any food bags left on the front steps (as per the instructions on the bags). Any parents with vehicles willing to join their groups this night, would be most appreciated as the bags of food will need to be run to the foodbank as vehicles fill. Players and staff will congregate at the Food Bank as the night unfolds to help unload and deliver thousands of pounds of food to waiting staff.
- Players and families are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to the field on Aug 20 in an effort to fill the coaches’ trucks before we head out to pick up bags. It’s always fun to see how many trucks we can fill before we head out!
- Please promote this initiative with your family and friends. The more exposure we have, especially through social media, the better the results will be for the Food Bank.
- If your child is unable to attend either of these nights, it is extremely important that you let your team manager know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as we are putting together map groups. Remember, these two nights should be treated as you would a practice or game - participation is required.
- Players and parents please wear your Cougars clothing! T-shirts, hats, hoodies, etc. We want to profile our association in the community.
CTC is one of the most rewarding and fun experiences your child will have. We look forward to seeing you!